[geeks] Firewall *needed* behind home (NAT) router

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Feb 8 13:44:22 CST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 01:34:29PM -0600, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> You're making your situation *way* more complex than it needs to be.
> My advice would be to dump the Linksys in the garbage, and stay away
> from similar devices (ie DLink, Netgear, Belkin, etc) and get a *real*
> firewall.

The Linksys WRT54G (what I have) is actually an embedded Linux system, and
its "firewall" is ipchains/iptables.

With the Sveasoft enhanced firmware (adds things like Qos), I *love* mine.

My "home network" at the new house:

http://www.mrbill.net/newhouse/moving-in/tn/network.med.jpg

Linksys WRT54G.  Hanging off that is a 5-port Linksys/Cisco switch, which
is connected to my Linksys NSLU2 (NAS device) and my Mac.  I did this so
I dont have to hammer the CPU on the router when I'm dumping files to the
NSLU2 from the Mac.  Next to those is the Speedstream 5100b DSL "modem",
and below is the APC UPS and line filter/regulator.

Bill

--
bill bradford
houston, texas