[geeks] Firewall *needed* behind home (NAT) router

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue Feb 8 00:08:35 CST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Does a firewall make sense? I dont see how a firewall adds protection
> *behind* a router providing NAT. Advice? Am I missing something?

I have a second firewall protecting my wired LAN from my wireless LAN
because I just don't trust wireless.  If someone manages to hack my
wireless, they can access my DMZ (which is pretty locked down) or get out
to the internet but not get into my wired LAN where I keep my fileservers
and such.  I also try to lock those down as much as I can, but they
tend to have a lot more available ports to hack at.  *shrug*

-DanD

# When a man assumes a public trust, he should consider himself as
# public property.  -Thomas Jefferson