[geeks] wire my house!

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sat Dec 24 16:10:01 CST 2005

" From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" Sandwich Maker wrote:
"
" > i read a letter from a local at&t exec in the boston globe business
" > sec a few years ago, commenting on verizon's whining about how
" > providing clec access was ruining them.  the exec pointed out verizon
" > had just boasted to their stockholders that pots svc had a 50% profit
" > margin...
"
" Yep, and that is *after* accounting for their massive gold-faucet overhead.
"
" My phone bill used to be $9 a month in 1991, now it is $37/month, same
" service level.
"
" During the same time their costs to provide the service have fallen
" drastically, they even occasionally brag about it.

mine isn't -quite- that bad, and voip isn't as dead-flat reliable as
pots, but when i figure i'll save at least $15/mo -and- i get high
speed internet i'm voting with my feet.  that i'm staying with my
current isp just makes it that much easier.

irony is, i bet verizon still maintains the wire, under sub from
galaxy.  cheaper than galaxy having their own people...

another irony - verizon has their own voip -- for about $45/mo
-separate- from dsl.