[geeks] C2600 and routing

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Sun Dec 18 08:21:44 CST 2005

> What's the max amount of MBit a Cisco 2600 should be able to
> route? The router's at 100% cpu load right now and only
> getting 10mbit...
> It's a 2621. That sound about right?

The published (sales department) values for packet routing is based on a
router with no ACL's. As soon as you have an extended ACL (ACL # over
99, meaning it does packet inspection and not just IP address
descisions), you will clog the CPU. This happens because traffic is
offloaded from ASIC (hardware) and dropped into software, which is
terribly slow.

I've seen a 3640 that struggled with 14mbs due to ACL's. That said,
10mbs from a 2621 with a simple config is probably it's outer limit. I'd
expect something more like 6-8mbs.

Routers make terrible packet filters.