[geeks] personal laser printer

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Dec 15 17:49:20 CST 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 05:59:55PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 wrote:

> If you can find a used HP LaserJet 5L or 6L, that might be a very sane
> choice. They are quiet, compact, and low-power. They are PCL-only, IIRC,
> so you would need to run one of the filters that converts text and PS
> into PCL.

If you can figure out how to set it up properly, CUPS does a wonderful
job of that. It even interfaces to SAMBA so that you can print from
windows computers. MacOS X supports CUPS directly, so you can print
from OS X Macs, OS9 Macs require Netatalk which AFIK runs on Linux
and Solaris up to 9. I have not tried to install it on Solaris 10 for
about 6 months, it probably has been fixed since then.

At one point I had a large network at home, A linux print server running
CUPS supporting a postscript laser printer, HP plotter and an Epson
color inkjet, another server supporting an HP LJII, and two HP inkjets
on different Windows machines. Any of which could be controled or printed
on from any other machine, there being a combination of Windows XP and 98,
Linux X86 and PPC, Mac OS X and 9, and Solaris 6, 9 and later 10.

The printers could be fed raw files for the printer in question of Postscript
level 1,2 or 3.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
You should have boycotted Google while you could, now Google supported
BPL is in action. Time is running out on worldwide radio communication.