[geeks] Radio Scanners

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Fri Dec 9 11:53:39 CST 2005

> What I'm looking for is to basically listen to police, fire,
> ems, maybe some CSX/Amtrak, and anything the local Air
> National Guard base may have. I'd prefer it to be portable so
> that I can take it anywhere. I'd guess that my budget for
> something like this is around $200.
>
> Any suggestions on good entry level models?

$200.00 can get you some nice models.

Radioshack has a nice tiny 200 channel handheld for $99.00. It's even
computer programmable with an optional cable and software. I've seen it
on sale for as little as $69.00. It even includes 800Mhz.

As for Military, they operate on some bands that might not be covered by
some scanners, and not by this model, like 200Mhz and 400Mhz.

One problem with radios less than 10 years old is that they aren't
easily modified for full spectrum coverage, and cellphones and certain
other bands are locked out. I don't think cellphone matters anymore
since its all digital now. I haven't tried, but I don't think an analog
radio can hear digi cellphones.