[geeks] amazon book reviews, something's fishy

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 10:08:24 CST 2005

I was looking at some reviews on amazon and there's a lot of weird
stuff going on there...

In particular, this one jumped at me:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A371VHL24B533I/ref=cm_cr_auth/103
-2550012-9293413?%5Fencoding=UTF8

This person reviewed one book by Palinski in 2003, giving 1 star, stating:
" I have more than 15 years experience in Oracle and did not find it useful."

And another book by Burleson, also in 2003, giving 5 stars, stating:
"I know Oracle on Windows, but I was very scared of all the Unix
commands that I would need to learn to do Oracle on Unix."

So, he'd been doing Oracle on Windows for 15 years???? From 2003 that
mean 1988. I didn't know there was an oracle for Windows 2.x (or 3.0
for that matter??). Windows 2.x used real mode so that meant 1 MB
altough I seem to recall there was a protected mode edition too... So,
did oracle make Oracle 6 for Windows 2?

I wont bore you all with all the other bizarre reviews I've looked at,
but I guess this leads to my next question, what's a web site that's
actually usefull in looking up book reviews?