[geeks] Firewall recommendation?

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Wed Dec 7 00:40:37 CST 2005

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Mike Meredith wrote:
> The more I learn about Cisco, the less impressed I get. Ignoring their
> academic support which is abysmal, you can come across some more serious
> issues. Latest I've discovered is that Cisco switches sometimes seem to
> misdirect (actually it gets delivered to multiple places) unicast
> traffic on a VLAN.

As I'm lead to believe, that's a feature, not a problem. They flood
packets out of interfaces so they can locate the correct responding host
by seeing who replies. Yes, if I were in DoD-land, I'd probably be
complaining about that, but I'd also have a different list of vendors to
choose from....

--
Kris Kirby <kris at catonic.net>
                       "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"