[geeks] Firewall recommendation?

Tue Dec 6 14:16:04 CST 2005

> Do you guys have favorite firewalls?

Well, what firewalling I do is done by my border router, which is a
SPARCstation IPX running NetBSD.  I suspect that's not quite what
you're looking for, though.

> What I happen to be looking at:

> ZyWALL 35 UTM

> I'm currently administering an old Watchguard Firebox III 700 [...]

I don't know the ZyWALL (and the webpage you named doesn't help), but
every WatchGuard I've seen has been not only a firewall but also a NAT
box.  (I checked the watchguard webpage too, and it too doesn't say
whether it does NAT.)  I'd recommend you state whether you want NAT,
want to avoid NAT, or don't care about NAT, since that is a significant
factor.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca