[geeks] Stuff most of us already knew about suits

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 07:56:45 CDT 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:23:29 -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/96/open_boss.html

Well we may have known about it, but it is nice to have confirmation
from someone who knows abnormal psychology. I'd have said they were
sociopaths, but I guess that just means I've forgotten too much abnormal
psychology.

It is a shame they didn't go a bit further and point out that it is the
conventional hierarchical management structure that allows such
psychopaths to thrive without restraint. To avoid that it would be
useful to change how organisations are structured. Designing a
new structure might be a difficult problem, but surely not one that is
beyond the wit of man.

For a start, not only should managers do a 'performance evaluation' of
their flunkies, but their flunkies should do the same for them.