[geeks] Package Database Corruption?

James Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Wed Aug 17 16:54:29 CDT 2005

I'm trying to replace a package that I created with a new version,
and I got the following when running pkgrm:

ajacocks at brtbk-64$ sudo pkgrm B2Eossl

The following package is currently installed:
    B2Eossl         OpenSSL Libraries
                    (sparc) 0.9.7g

Do you want to remove this package? y

## Removing installed package instance <B2Eossl>
## Verifying package dependencies.
## Processing package information.
pkgrm: ERROR: bad read of contents file
pkgrm: ERROR: pathname=/opt/B2Eperl5/man/man3/overload.3
pkgrm: ERROR: problem=unable to read content info

That struck me as a bit odd, but I just deleted the presumably bad
entry in the contents file, and continued.  However, the error then
moved on to another file:

ajacocks at brtbk-64$ sudo pkgrm B2Eossl

The following package is currently installed:
    B2Eossl         OpenSSL Libraries
                    (sparc) 0.9.7g

Do you want to remove this package? y
WARNING: Stale lock installed for pkgrm, pkg B2Eossl quit in initial
state.
     Removing lock.

## Removing installed package instance <B2Eossl>
(A previous attempt may have been unsuccessful.)
## Verifying package dependencies.
## Processing package information.
pkgrm: ERROR: bad read of contents file
pkgrm: ERROR: pathname=/usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/graphics/
TEFileExists.tif
pkgrm: ERROR: problem=unable to read content info

Anyone here have a suggestion?  I'm pretty stumped, beyond the
obvious system re-install to get the package database back to normal.

Also, does anyone have an idea how this could happen?  There hasn't
been any manual editing of the contents file.

Thanks!