[geeks] my first electronics project

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Aug 5 09:08:32 CDT 2005

" From: "David L Kindred (Dave)" <d.kindred at telesciences.com>
"
" Anyone else remember the days when being a computer hobbyist basically
" meant you *were* an electronics hobbyist also?

i started with carl helmers -before- byte magazine.

i was the menial he hired to wire up his basement computer - an 8008.
he'd just been to an intel seminar...  i got good at wire wrapping; i
already knew soldering.  i also started learning about logic design.

we built up an 8k ram board with then-new 2102 ram chips and thought
we had the world.  and then the cassette interface...  wow.  floppies
[8" 180k] were unobtanium.

i built 3 or 4 6800 systems carl designed also, which we sold to
customers for software development.

we were both living in the boston area and his 'real job' was at a
cambridge software house working on the shuttle os.  our association
ended when he was offered the founding editorship of byte and moved to
peterborough.