[geeks] my first electronics project

Atom rescue at port11.net
Wed Aug 3 23:03:07 CDT 2005

On Aug 3, 2005, at 9:59 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I figure I needed to learn how to properly use a soldering iron in
> order to
> keep my geek credentials.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/693178/
>
> also: http://www.mrbill.net/blinky.avi (DivX)
>
> It worked without any re-soldering!

Words of advice if you want to do some serious soldering.

- Get a nice iron. Weller makes a pretty nice one in the $99 range
(WES-50). Analog control but solders pretty nice
- Good solder is crucial. Get some decent 60/40 solder. The ones that
you get with the cheap kits usually suck. Try some good solder and
you know what i mean.

Years of soldering and about 20k solderpoints later that's what I can
give as an advice...

-- atm