[geeks] Why Linux and not *BSD?

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 11:21:27 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 16:19:13 -0400, kurt at k-huhn.com wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 03:43:50PM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:
> > Hopefully folks here can shed some light on something I've been
> > wondering for a while... why do so many companies choose Linux
> > instead of *BSD for their OS (especially if it's embedded)?  What's
>
> The stunningly simple answer is "marketing".  Use of the word "linux"

Yes.

Of course there's lots of other stuff out there using *BSD or Linux
where the name isn't on the outside of the box. And lots of smaller
products that use either *BSD or Linux that just isn't "interesting"
enough to reach the so called journalists.

> People have incredibly short attention spans, do not care to know
> about the wide breadth of OSs out there, and don't give a narrow,

I believe that we've currently got the *narrowest* breadth of oses for
any time since the stone age of computing. Almost everything is Windows,
or something Unix-like.