[geeks] Opinions on SGI stock?

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 14:31:10 CDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:18:09 -0400, James Fogg wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:56:14 -0400, James Fogg wrote:
> > > 4) Linux servers
> >
> > How many companies sell servers that are as scaleable ? Not
> > many; if any.
>
> Think about how scalable the *supported* Linux-on-mainframe systems
> are from IBM.

So where in the top 500 list of supercomputers are IBM zSeries machines
? I can't find any. Top one is the IBM blue gene, and the second is an
SGI Altix at NASA. Plenty of other IBM's in the list ... all based on
POWER CPUs.

The IBM mainframes are definitely scaleable ... probably more scaleable
than SGI's, but in terms of I/O capacity.