[geeks] Opinions on SGI stock?

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Tue Apr 26 14:00:37 CDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, rob fielding wrote:
> Some would argue he should buy more.

And some would arge that lobotomies are a good thing, are you nuts? :)

> SGI do (still) have alot of good tech, good enough for them to be bought
> by a bigger player - like IBM. In which case they'll offer a better
> price than their share price to buy up stock and acquire. Then he'll get
> more than if he just sold them now.

Why on earth would IBM buy SGI? Please, just give me a single reason.

> Wow, looking at my finance.yahoo.co.uk graph back to 1995,, nearly 50
> dollars per share. It's amazing what a lot of loss of direction can cost
> a company.

Not only that but SGI's workforce has migrated big time, most of their
talent is gone. A company sans talent is worth crap, and most of SGI
working bees saw the writing in the wall long time ago.

Now they offer an $8.5K dual itanium running Linux and ATI video cards as
their low end, whoah... I bet they will be selling like hotcakes. Yeah,
nice turnaround... If it weren't for the gov subsidies SGI would be dead,
they are just keeping the corpse warm. The only thing SGI has to offer right
now is their NUMALink, maybe  SUN is interested. Their storage stuff is
cool, esp when it comes to CXFS but SGI could not find their own asses with
a flash light.

Of course those are my $0.02, but I would advise to stay as far from SGI
as possible, they are done. I believe the latest round of gov funding left
them out, which puts them in a very interesting situation.