[geeks] Opinions on SGI stock?

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Tue Apr 26 12:56:14 CDT 2005

> I bought a bunch of Apple stock back when they were doing the
> same thing.
> Well, they never actually went *that* low, but they were
> taking a nose-dive and everybody was predicting their
> impending bankruptcy (which was rather silly, considering the
> pile of cash they had buried in the Icon Garden).

Yeah, but Apple didn't bail on their proprietary technology and start
selling Linux machines on Itanium hardware. What, really, do they sell?

1) Some cool software
2) A cool name
3) Some custom crafting of Linux to make a good visualization
workstation
4) Linux servers

The bulk of what they do can be done by others, cheaper. They are
basically a software company now.