[geeks] Opinions on SGI stock?

rob fielding rob at dsvr.net
Tue Apr 26 12:18:11 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 19:04 +0200, Joost van de Griek wrote:
> On 2005-04-26 18:30, Nathan Raymond wrote:
>
> > Hey everyone, my grandfather recently asked me about SGI, apparently he has
> > some money invested in the company and in the last week the stock dipped below
> > $1 and of course if it stays below $1 they will get delisted from the stock
> > exchange.  I don't invest in stocks, and haven't been following SGI closely,
> > but from what I do know about them these days, they're not doing too well and
> > have quite a bit of competition in the markets they are in.  He wants to know
> > whether to pull his money out now (he'd lose a bit compared to when he
> > invested), or to wait.  Anyone have any opinions?  I would imagine that SGI
> > has quite a bit of intellectual property that might make them more valuable
> > than the market considers them, but again, I don't know, and don't know
> > exactly where to go looking in terms of helping him research this stuff
> > (before he retired he worked for Raytheon almost his whole life, but he
> > doesn't understand computer technology too well).
>
> I bought a bunch of Apple stock back when they were doing the same thing.
> Well, they never actually went *that* low, but they were taking a nose-dive
> and everybody was predicting their impending bankruptcy (which was rather
> silly, considering the pile of cash they had buried in the Icon Garden).
>
> I figured, they'd either go back up, or be bought by some other company,
> because companies like Apple and SGI are worth more to other computer
> companies than to investors. I made a killing on that Apple stock. (Would
> have made much more if I'd waited out the damn iPod. It split *again* not
> too long ago!)
>
> Under $1, eh? Maybe it's time to buy me some SGI stock.

Have you seen www.sgi.com?  I want me some SGI Prism Visualisation
deskside....

--
Rob Fielding
rob at dsvr.net

www.dsvr.co.uk                                             Development
Designer Servers                                    Business Serve Plc

    "I don't pretend to understand Brannigans Law. I merely enforce it"
        - Zapp Brannigan