[geeks] Powerbook storage options

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Sat Apr 23 13:52:19 CDT 2005

On 20050423 13:44, "Patrick Giagnocavo" <patrick at mail.zill.net> wrote:

> First thing is that there are certain options that might make Linux
> faster.  Check the options on your NFS mounts - the send and receive
> windows should be (IIRC) at least 8192 .

Hmm. Ok, I'll check that out. I was under the impression that NFS was the
slowest network filesystem to use; I was just kinda using it because that's
what I had setup.

>> machine would that make things run faster? Also, another thing that I
>> thought of was installing a firewire card in my linux box and getting
>> 400Mb/sec network connection instead of the PB's 100Mb/sec connection - in
>
> Can you put a Linux box into FW target mode?  If so, that is pretty neat...

Nah, but a firewire device can work as a network device. It's 400Mb/sec, and
if that works out practically to actually be 4x as fast as 100Mb/sec
ethernet, that's one of the cheapest ways I can increase speed.