[geeks] Mysql backup questions...

christer at a-son.net christer at a-son.net
Tue Apr 12 00:20:00 CDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 11:16:25PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> So, this is what I'm using to backup MySQL on a nightly basis (this file
> is then rsynced to an offsite machine).  Any tips on optimization or
> improvements?  I'm running 4.10.

I have successfully moved mySQL databases from OpenBSD to Linux and back
to OpenBSD by just using tar on the database directory. It ended up in
a different place when changing OS, but still worked just fine. Since
then, I just tar the db directory as backup. It is probably a good idea
to stop mySQL during backup to avoid updates during the backup. A
requirement with this method would be that the database format isn't
changed of course, but I reckon if that happens, I can install the same
version of mySQL again and dump when needed.

--
Christer O. Andersson
Odensbacken