[geeks] my head just went explodey

Joost van de Griek jvdg at sparcpark.net
Mon Apr 4 01:27:13 CDT 2005

On 2005-04-03 17:20, Scott Howard wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2005, at 12:30 AM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>
>> I've been refused (2-3 years ago) a job because I didn't know Solaris 6.
>> "Your last Solaris release was 2.6, which is way behind Solaris 6".
>>
>> That's verbatim, and it came from the head admin.
>
> Sounds like a good thing you found out they were that clueless now rather than
> after you'd accepted the job :)
>
> At my last job I used to do the resume culling/tech interviews, and it's scary
> how many people put things on their resumes like "Solaris 5, 6 and 7", or
> "Solaris 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8", or even "Solaris 5.7, 5.8 and 6"
>
> But it made my life easier - anyone who put something like that got culled
> immediately.

It's not always the applicant's fault, though. A colleague of mine was
offered on a contract as a Java programmer, and his account manager decided
to doll up his CV a bit, to increase the chances of winning the contract. So
he gave him 15 years of experience as a J2SE programmer.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d