[geeks] my head just went explodey

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Apr 3 16:25:02 CDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 08:56:38PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> Could it be that there is money involved ? Application server vendor A
> bribes application vendor B into only supporting their application
> server. Repeat for C and D, and so forth. We end up not just supporting
> one festering pile of shit that falls over at the slightest prod, but a
> whole fleet of the buggers.

You should see the stuff I had to support at $WORK-1.  Telco SLA record
keeping database.  Java/Tomcat/etc, using SNMP, talking to Oracle.

"Oh?  its slow?  Throw a bigger machine and more RAM at it!"  (this was
a dual-300Mhz Sun E250 with 2G of RAM and hardware RAID..)

Bloated pig of a product that could have been better and much leaner
implemented with PHP or Perl and MySQL.

Bill

--
bill bradford