[geeks] my head just went explodey

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Apr 2 23:30:19 CST 2005

Sat, 02 Apr 2005 @ 20:35 -0600, Bill Bradford said:

> On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 09:21:44PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > Thus he is going by "feeeelings" instead of a series of rational
> > decisions.
>
> Or by what he read in last week's issue of InfoWorld.

It's worse than that.

I see a big increase in these sorts of bogus requirements even among
firms that used to have a reputation for knowing better.

The hiring process in corporate America (and perhaps other nations) is
almost entirely broken now.

I've been refused (2-3 years ago) a job because I didn't know Solaris 6.
"Your last Solaris release was 2.6, which is way behind Solaris 6".

That's verbatim, and it came from the head admin.

Nevermind that OS, especially UNIX, doesn't change enough to make being
behind a few revisions a serious problem.  For that matter, moving from
one to another is not that big a deal, even if they have major
differences.

No one seems to understand that we are professionals, and many (most?)
of us have college degrees, and tackling new things and relearing is
daily, and routine for us.

Nope, they look for a set of buzzwords, and require exact matches.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["An Irishman is never drunk as long as he
can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth."]