[geeks] Sun JDS screenshots

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at mail.zill.net
Sun Nov 21 19:30:07 CST 2004

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 09:12:00AM -0500, velociraptor wrote:
> Dunno if you folks saw that there was a new release of the Sun Java
> Desktop on the 10th.  There are some screenshots here:
>
> http://www.hup.hu/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7328

Not two hours ago I finished up the install of Nextstep 3.3 on a
Sparcstation 4, 110Mhz, 128MB RAM system.  This is roughly equivalent
to a Pentium 166 or Pentium 200, I think.

Yet it runs smooth as buttah, and aside from some nits which are
explained by the fact that it is a 10-year-old OS ... it is a better
GUI than JDS or Gnome or KDE (e.g. it doesn't like large disks due to
either a 2GB or 4GB partition limit).

So basically I am running a better, more-integrated, equally-robust
system on hardware that is literally 10% as fast as what you need for
decent performance for JDS (figure at least a P3-1Ghz and 512MB RAM
for zippiness).

What's wrong with this picture?

--Patrick