[geeks] Sun JDS screenshots

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Nov 21 16:46:17 CST 2004

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 04:08:57PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> I've always wondered why they called it the "Java Desktop".  Aside from
> the color scheme and the presence of an installed JDK/JRE (is that
> really a rarity these days?), there's nothing Java about it.  It's no more
> or less Java than Mac OS X or IRIX, for that matter.
> Perhaps they're hiding GNOME behind the Java name to convince users that
> Java isn't slow?  Oh, wait, that wouldn't work... ;)

Its too much branding gone mad.  They should have just called it the
"Sun Linux Desktop".  Otherwise people will think its Java-based.  It's
not - its SuSe based.

I've got two extra copies of the O'Reilly "Exploring the Sun Java Desktop"
book if anybody wants one.. It's got the "LiveCD" verson included.  The
author sent me one, then O'Reilly sent me TWO, for some reason.. I guess
I should review it soon. :)

Bill

--
bill bradford