[geeks] listing identical files

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Fri Nov 19 13:19:31 CST 2004

Haven't tried it, Phil's little script looks fine for my
purposes, but i just came across this if you want a GUI thing.

http://midori.shacknet.nu/dff/

It's funny how stuff like this never surfaces until AFTER i ask
a question :)

/KRM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:17:28 -0500
velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:56:15 -0500 (EST), Kevin
> <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:
> > Anyone know of a way of listing all the identical files in a
> > directory?
> >
> > I have a directory containing several large files, many of
> > which are just duplicates with differing names.  I would like
> > to find a way to list all the identical files to help rescue
> > some drive space.
> >
> > There is probably a simplistic way to do this, but it escapes
> > me, as i don't have much experience with any type of shell
> > scripting.
>
> I was thinking about this myself, as my backup "system" (hardly
> applicable) has been duplicating files onto different hard
> drives, and now I have more than just two copies over time.
>
> The only way I can think to do it is by using some kind of
> checksumming (e.g. md5), but I'm not sure if checksumming takes
> into account the names of the files as I've only used it on
> identically named files.  The downside is that it would be very
> disk and time intensive.
>
> Anyone else with any more useful ideas?
>
> =Nadine=

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."
keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/