[geeks] Witches and Well-Poisoners (was Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwed for 4 more years)

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Wed Nov 10 15:15:42 CST 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 09:42:25AM -0600, geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> [...]
  Ummm...actually the term is properly translated as "witch" (or "sorceress"
more appropriately).  The Hebrew term is difficult to translate into an English
equivalent because of various ambiguities.  But, "witch" is more appropriate
than "well-poisoner." The problem is that the Hebrew text of the bible was
translated into Aramaic and that translation was the basis of the KJV (IIRC).

  As for the second quote...I believe that comes from the Talmud.

  Part of the problem with the translations is that the terms changed over
time.  Just like Justices Scalia and Thomas claim that there is no right to
privacy in the constitution because it is not explicitly stated there; the fact
is that the constitution intends for a right to privacy.  Why the word does not
appear in the constitution is because back in the time that the constitution
was written the word 'privacy' meant 'going to the bathroom.'  I think it would
have been very odd if one of the amendments in the Bill of Rights would have
said "Congress shall pass no law that abridges the right to go to the bathroom"
Contexts change over time and should be accounted for when trying to determine
the original author's intent.  Failure to do so indicates a lack of under-
standing (or desire to understand) the evolution of language.

Ido
Ido Dubrawsky, CISSP           		E-mail:          ido at dubrawsky.org
Network Security Architect
dubrawsky.org