[geeks] Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwedfor4more years

Michael Horton Michael.Horton at acntv.com
Tue Nov 9 15:04:32 CST 2004

>That, IMHO, is wa whacked

not an unusal reaction.

checking the history books, it was these people who picked up the pieces
after the fall of the roman empire successfully.  most of us on this
list are culturally descendended from these folk.

> So ....  God loves his chosen people, but forbids them to defend
themselves against persecution?

it appears so.

actually, god does a good job of defending his people.  (if you read the
sources that i referenced, you will see this.
the account of polycarp's martyrdom is especially revealing.)

and it does not mean that they are not able to defend themslves against
attempted murder, robbery, assault, etc. under "normal" circumstances.
there are circumstances when "self-reservation" is not the supreme goal
of life.

>See, it's things like this that are one of the reasons I've never been
able to accept the basic ideas of Christianity.

it's things like this that are one of the reasons that many people do
exercise faith in the god of the bible and the christ of christianity.

jesus of nazareth: my kingdom is not of this earth.  if it was, my
followers would fight for me.
                 : if you want to be a leader, you must be a servant.

this seems to indicate that the follower of jesus of nazareth/jesus
christ is to have a different worldview/motivation than what is normally
seen in the world.