[geeks] Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwed for4 more years

Michael Horton Michael.Horton at acntv.com
Tue Nov 9 11:42:55 CST 2004

the position to permit marriage between gay people is based as much on
morals as the position to only permit marriage between heterosexuals is
based on morals.

the question is not whether we should use "morals" to make decisions but
*which* set of morals to use.

an example of this was an interview with norman lear that appeared in
the run-up to the election on one of the major networks.
norman said every person has a "compact with the deity" (his phrase
quoted).
norman said this "compact with the deity" is personal and different for
each individual.
norman said further that no individual has the right to voice that
"compact with the deity" in the political debate.
(he went on to say even to other people.)

the question begged to be asked is "norman, how can you push your
religious/moral/philosophical views on me/us/tv
viewers/religious/non-religious/democrats/republicans/etc.?"

norman showed that all decisions, even political ones, come out of our
moral/religious views, that is, out of our worldview (whatever it is).

it was funny that norman couldn't even follow his own rules and
regulations.