[geeks] Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwed for 4 more years

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 8 22:38:31 CST 2004

> From: patrick at mail.zill.net (Patrick Giagnocavo)
> Date: 2004/11/09 Tue AM 03:39:59 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwed for
> 	4 more years

> The recent trial balloon of "Clarence Thomas as Chief Justice" might
> have been calculated to drive already-depressed Dems to refill their
> liquor cabinet.

Heh, while there is that benefit, I think the more pernicious point to be made is that Clarence Thomas is (relatively) young, and could serve/help shape the court for many more years to come, compared with someof his elder peers...

Clarence Thomas was born 1948, with all the other Justices at least 9 years older than him:

J. Stevens born 1920
S. O'Conner born 1930
A. Scalia born 1936
A. Kennedy born 1936
D. Souter born 1939
R. Ginsburg born 1933
S. Breyer born 1938

If President Bush wanted to leave a lasting mark on the Supreme Court, I'd go for the youngster - because hey, if it T's Off the other Justices, what are they going to do, quit, and leave more vacancies for President Bush to fill? ;^)