[geeks] Re: [rescue] It's official, the U.S. is screwed for 4 more years

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Mon Nov 8 22:09:49 CST 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 22:39:59 -0500
  patrick at mail.zill.net (Patrick Giagnocavo) wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 06:21:45PM -0800, Francisco
>Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:31:34 +0000
>>  Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>> >I hear Mr. Moore is blaming the "upset" on the religous
>> >folks in "fly-over" states...
>>
>> I am an optimist, so I see this actually as a good
>>thing.
>> Maybe the DNC will finally grow a pair and kick
>>McAullife
>> and the rest of spineless wimps and get an actual
>>liberal
>> platform... just "not being Bush" proved to not be
>>enough
>
> It always amazes me to hear Democrats praise Bill
>Clinton.

It goes both ways, a lot of Demos did not care much for
Bill really. And in fact I am amazed at the visceral
hatred that some elements of the republican party
displayed for Clinton, since a lot of his policies where
to the rigth of Nixon really.

> "Most popular President" ? -- got less total votes than
>Gore or Bush
> did in 2000, or Kerry or Bush in 2004

Popularity is usually defined as approval rate when
leaving the white house. Reagan did get fewer votes than
those candidates too, and he was a more popular president
than Bush (at least for now). Of course population growth
and whatnot need to be taken into account to provide
context to an election...

> Who installed McAuliffe?  Bill and Hillary.

The DLC has long been singled out as the real problem for
the democratic future with their efforts to move the party
towards a center right platform. And I sort of agree, in
the same sense as the Club for Growth et al with their
RINO hunts have presented a real problem for the
Republican identity. Democrats need to be Democrats and
stop trying to be republican-lite... IMHO. I am however
not pleased at all with the radicalization of the GOP
which can not lead to anything good either. And Rove and
his power plays annoy the f'k out of me...

> Of course, "morals are relative" are one position, which
>moral
> absolutists of one kind or another, would disagree with.

I just was alarmed that in this election with the milliard
of more pressing issues a lot of people decided to vote
for a "moral agenda" whatever that is. Especially things
like gay marriage and what not, which IMHO is none of the
government business...

> In two years there is another election, where 1/3 of the
>Senate can be
> replaced and some of the House as well... so if they
>screw up, there
> can be some indication of displeasure relatively
>quickly.

As I said it is going to be interesting.... I still miss
the 90's though... :)