[geeks] Powerbook LCD replacement; Windows Media suckage

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Mon Nov 8 16:32:16 CST 2004

On Nov 8, 2004, at 16:38, Matthew Braun wrote:

> From what I've been told by Apple, *no* PB repairs are done at the
> store. Even if I were to take it to a store, it would just be shipped
> off for service.

Happily, this is not true, at least at the Towson, Maryland store.  My
combo drive died, and I took my PowerBook in and talked to the Genius
(what they call the techs).  I told him I needed it for work and
couldn't afford to be without a computer for the time it would take to
send it off.  He ordered the part and called me when it came in.  I
brought my PB in on Friday afternoon after work and picked it up,
fixed, on Saturday night.

He's also replaced a hard disk for me as an in-store repair.  It was a
40GB, that had come out of my PB to be replaced by a 60GB drive and was
in an firewire case.  He had a spare in the back and replaced it on the
spot with no hassle at all.

Try it and see what happens!

---sambo