[geeks] Powerbook LCD replacement; Windows Media suckage

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Nov 8 16:19:43 CST 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 04:31:51PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 03:17:22PM -0600, Matthew Braun wrote:
> > Also, are there any options for playing Windows Media 9 movies on my
> > Mac? The performance of the Windows Media player is gawdawful: I click
> > somewhere in the video stream to advance and then wait 3 or 4 seconds
> > before it skips ahead. I don't think VLC can play WMV9 files yet, so
> > I'm looking into other options (barring that, is there any way to
> > convert to MOV or MPEG)?
>

> You might check out http://www.mplayerhq.hu/, the mplayer homepage.  I
> don't know for sure whether it builds on OS/X, but I see no reason why
> it wouldn't.
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html for the download
> page, where resideth source code, plugins, codecs, etc. for
> mplayer-1.0pre5.

and after that page eventually loaded here, the answer appears to be
"Yes, mplayer runs on OS/X, but you're fucked for support on any of the
DRM-enabled formats like WMP9."

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net