[geeks] Rackmount server recommendations

Will Mc Donald wmcdonald at ntlworld.com
Thu May 20 10:02:27 CDT 2004

From: "Bill Bradford" <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 02:37:12PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > The rackmount case alone seems to add about $150 to the price of the
system... If you can get by with a desktop case, the world opens up nicely, as
desktop systems are not "popular" (people like tower cases)... Of course, if a
tower case installed sideways is an option, brand new Dell 400sc poweredge
servers are very nice (about $300-350/pop)...

> Yeah, the PE400sc is my "fall back" option.

If CPU oomph isn't an issue how about something mini-itx based? You can cram
two systems in one case, might save you some cash.

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=3#c147

Will.