[geeks] 4th Amendment Gone

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Mar 30 12:38:18 CST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:38:23AM -0500, sammy ominsky wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2004, at 02:06, Mike Meredith wrote:
>
> >>Ah, then you probably don't understand the difference between rights
> >>and privileges.
> >
> >Perhaps not, but I'm aware of the difference between 'rights' and
> >'privileges' according to the OED. And I'm certainly not going to be
> >educated if you don't point out my error.
>
> Sorry, I was sitting in a restaurant with my 5-year old when I typed
> that off-the-cuff response.
>
> As far as I understand, rights are inherent, while privileges are
> granted.

The problem, of course, is getting everyone involved to agree upon which
is which -- which things are rights (like the right to defend your life
and family by whatever means necessary if attacked), which things are
privileges (like, say, diplomatic immunity), and which are unreasonable
assumptions (for example, the assumption by the aggressively politically
correct that they have a right to go through their lives without ever
being offended by anyone or anything).

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :