[geeks] 4th Amendment Gone

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 29 15:28:01 CST 2004

> From: Mike Meredith <mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk>
> Date: 2004/03/29 Mon PM 09:19:45 GMT
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] 4th Amendment Gone
>
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:33:37 +0000 (GMT), Kris Kirby wrote:

> > every day in what we assume to be our God-given rights.

> I've always thought that phrase is kind of insulting to the
> people who fought (and sometimes died) for those rights.

I usually hear it described as "IN DEFENCE[0] OF those rights" not "for those
rights" - the argument seems to go along the lines of the following:

God granted certain inalienable rights to all men[1]

Certain Governments tried to limit those rights.

Some folks called "bullshit" on that and fought to regain those rights
originally imparted to them by their creator but denied by Governments...

[0] note the UK spelling!

[1] note, this means men and women

[2] there is no footnote [2]

Lionel