[geeks] Re: DVD Playback on Solaris

Charles Redmond charlie250y at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 22 13:28:42 CST 2004

> I've got a nice U60 with an Elite 3D/Sol 8 and I
have
> just won a SCSI dvd on ebay.

Nice.

>> Does anyone have any experience on whether the
Elite
>> 3D will be good enough for DVD playback?

>What CPU(s)?

Ok, currently in the U60 is a single 300Mhz. I am
looking at a minimum of adding a second CPU or if I
can get them for the right price upgrading to two
450's.
>> I've also got a U30 with a Creator (Not Creator 3D)
>> and I'm assuming this will not be good enough.
>> Does this sound like  reasonable assumption?

>What CPU?
Ahh.. this is a slow one.. 250Mhz..
Both boxes have 512 mb ram

Thanks for the hints. I know now this is at least
worth looking at.
My other option is to stick the DVD in one of my
Alphaserver 3305's (whitebox AS800) 500Mhz EV5 and use
with Linux though having a 3305 on a desk is a bit
more awkward!

Charles

http://au.movies.yahoo.com