[geeks] DVD playback on Solaris

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Mar 22 09:16:32 CST 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:15:17AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:59:57AM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > I doubt that either video card will provide any meaningfull hardware
> > acceleration (other than perhaps video scaling) for playing MPEG video.
>
> If you've got the VIS libraries installed, and use ShowMeTV (available from
> Sun's site), it should work okay.  I watched "Gone in 60 Seconds" a couple of
> years ago, in VCD resolution (320x240? 320x480?) on an original UltraBook
> 170Mhz that had a Creator 2D just fine.
>
> Playing directly from the DVD, though, will require VideoLan (www.videlan.org).

I would imagine that mplayer would work as well.  And now that I think
about it, both use ffmpeg, and doesn't ffmpeg offer VIS acceleration?

However, VIS acceleration doesn't imply using the video card for
acceleration, does it? Or does ShowMeTV also do additional acceleration
using the video card in addition to VIS?