[geeks] Free Space Optics

David Selders david.selders at malleable.org
Fri Mar 19 16:39:07 CST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 05:27:43PM -0500, Caleb Shay wrote:
> I don't have experience with these specific companies, but I do have
> one important note for line of site networking.
>
> Make sure nobody can get to it.
>
> True story.
>
> At $WORK-3 we had one of these setups and our connection kept going
> down on a regular basis.  Turned out there was a homeless guy living
> on the roof of the building who kept putting a sticky note over the
> lens because he thought it was watching him.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Caleb

Thats pretty funny... I will keep that in mind.  We do share the
building on one end, but we basically own it and access to the roof
isn't to easily obtained.  I was actually a bit incorrect in my first email.
What I should have asked for was some real world differences in free space
optics and millimeter wave.  I am presonally leaning towards the millimeter
wave solution.  We do get some fog during the winter monthes in our area and
I'm concerned that would cause the connection to drop with a FSO solution.

--
David