[geeks] home wap paranoia

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Wed Mar 17 12:16:09 CST 2004

I really need to beat my mail client in to shape, sorry about the weird
formatting...

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 09:55, geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: Re: [geeks] home wap paranoia
> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:23:15 +0000
>
> > From: Shawn Wallbridge <shawn at synack-hosting.com>
> > Date: 2004/03/17 Wed PM 05:05:14 GMT
> > To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> > Subject: Re: [geeks] home wap paranoia
> >
> > I don't even have wep enabled, but my wireless doesn't touch my
> > internal network.
>
> I've been racking my brain, trying to remember the name/URL for the software "mini distribution" that installs on a PC, and becomes a WAP that is open to the world... The thought is that you share your bandwidth, put the box outside your private network, and anyone that can get in (I think it used RADIUS authentication), can access the internet, not your private net (normal firewall/NAT/etc. still apply)... I think you could manage the data rate of the public Wireless connection as well...
>
> I'd concede the bandwidth for the sake of convienience - besides, I live in a suburban area - my 802.11b signals don't make it to the neighbors house, or, for that matter, my den ;^)
>
> There is also security by obscurity - consider getting 802.11a cards/APs - see www.justdeals.com, they typically have low-cost 802.11a devices...

If anybody is doing 802.11a, I've got a PCMCIA card here that I don't
need.  Came with my laptop, but I got the minipci 802.11b card for it,
and don't have anywhere that I want to use a.  Mail me off list, if
interested.
	Greg