[geeks] shopping cart

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 16 15:05:51 CST 2004

> From: Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com>
> Date: 2004/03/16 Tue PM 04:08:18 GMT
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [geeks] shopping cart
>
> I'm looking for a shopping cart for my store that
> I can use to integrate into my existing site without
> massive re-coding.  So far, I've found *nothing*
> that even comes close.  Basically, what I need is:
>  - supports inventories of "1"
>  - supports paypal payments
>  - supports credit cards such that the CC info is
>    placed in a report on the box or emailed to a
>    local account
>  - items can be added to the cart with a simple
>    link or button (either <a href=> or form submission

<snip>

> Ideas?  Am I goingto have to write my own?

If you do resort to writing your own, take a look at eBay Hacks:

   http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ebayhks/

Esp. Hack # 79 & 80 (Mainly with emphasis on PayPal off eBay)

I'd like to exploit the above and make a simple web page that has a "buy me" icon/link next to an item description, and have that hook into a MySQL DB to update inventory levels. Account management could be handled by PayPal, I'll get what I need with the payment notification...

If curious, I suspect it would be trivial to download account activity into a DB for local futzing, if desired. (Your needs are very different than mine - I want a revolving page of my own, mostly one-off surplus bits, you are building an actual business...)