[geeks] annoying Taxcut software bug

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Sun Mar 14 19:13:58 CST 2004

With tax season coming up, I wanted to warn some of you
about a bug I found today in Taxcut.  I hope it saves
one of you some hair-pulling.  (I need to follow Bill's
lead and shave it off to prevent days like this.)

Here is the review I wrote for Amazon, which will probably never
see the light of day:
================
Apparently this software was tested by monkeys, and not even smart monkeys
like capuchins. It was probably cheaper spider monkeys.

I spent several hours fighting with this software and *4* tickets were
logged with tech support before I discovered a bug they didn't know about.
The software lets you open an IRA automatically ("Express IRA" option) if
it benefits you. If the amount of your refund exceeds the amount for the
IRA, the software will send your refund to Taxcut's affiliated bank. That
bank will open your IRA and send you the balance of your refund.

DO NOT CHOOSE THIS OPTION!!!!!!

The routing number it puts in is WRONG and will cause your electronic
filing to be REJECTED by the IRS. It also corrupts the saved file for your
return so you can't even open it to find out WHY your return was rejected.

This option was obviously added after lunch on banana day in the taxcut
cafeteria, when the testing monkeys are usually drowsy.

# "But, Invader's blood marches through my veins like giant radioactive rubber
# pants!  The pants command me!   Do not ignore my veins!"  Invader ZIM