[geeks] Solaris on x86 laptop

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 6 15:50:34 CST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 12:13, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > If you have an old laptop, I'd say give it a try!
>
> Is it better than NetBSD or Linux?

Define "better" ;^)

Seriously, for me, it seems better behaved on similar hardware - no
constant churn/swap/grinding on HD because Mozilla & Xiamian are both
running at the same time... (RH Linux had that "problem")

Also, it is nice that it *is* Solaris, so that in itself is a bonus...

I've limited exp. with NetBSD, but with LXrun I can (in theory) run
Linux executables under Solaris x86...

I have to investigate software options like OpenOffice, various games,
etc (including MP3 applications), and I wonder if I can play MPEG2 video
(from my ReplayTV) on Solaris x86???

So for me, Solaris on x86 is better because of the "adventure" factor...

(Next up, a Dell 400SC UltraSCSI-based server w/1 Gig RAM and 2.6 GHz P4
- that should run nice ;^)