[geeks] Solaris on x86 laptop

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 6 11:02:39 CST 2004

Hello all,

I got a chance top play with my Tecra 8000 running Solaris, and I must
say it is pretty good...

I don't have sound or *wireless* networking (yet), but I do have nice
800x600 (the screen resolution) X Windows, and networking through the
Toshiba docking station.

The unit is quite zippy, running @ 266 MHz w/ 256 Meg RAM and a nice,
speedy, 40 Gig HD. I have downloaded and installed Netscape 7.0 (but
can't seem to find the executable [0]), threw on the Freeware CD
contents, and am in the process of installing the recommended patch
cluster for Solaris OE as I write this...

If you have an old laptop, I'd say give it a try!

I'm considering the Lynnsoft 802.11b drivers, and will work on audio
next (there are free and $ drivers available)...

Lionel
[0] WTF does the installer throw the Netscape 7.0 executable? It isn't
in the README or the online FAQ, so now I have to search - bastards!