[geeks] Aluminum 30" Apple Display

Brooke Gravitt gravitt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 15:18:06 CDT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:59:10 -0400, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> Woah, woah woah!  Why are you sullying this beauty with an modem?  Even
> if dialup is the only way to get internet service in your area, please
> use something external.  Either an external model on a USB serial
> adapter, or better yet an external router.

Good Point.

> Err, doesn't the machine have onboard GigE?  What's wrong with that?

What's wrong? If one Gig-E port is good, then two must be better!!!!!

> If there is a cheaper drive, take it, since for a machine like this, one
> would want an external dual layer +/- R/RW drive.

Yes, and it must be the Porche Design one that Lacie is pimping.

> You left off an Xraid.

Man, I can't believe I forgot to add those blinkenlights!

> If your spending that much, surely another few K can be found for a
> Blackmagic DecklinkHD card, an AJA component->HD-SDI converter, FCP-HD,
> to make editing ones home videos more pleasant (presuming one is
> shooting them on HDV and wants to output HD-DVD and/or DVHS).

So, who can come up with the most obscenely-speced/priced Apple G5
(with accessories), Sun workstation, etc? It'd be funny to see what a
true "dream machine" would run. Like, can we get a 4 *desktop
workstation*  computers to run more  than $100K?