[geeks] Proposed new mailing list rules & guidelines

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 26 07:15:04 CDT 2004

> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> Date: 2004/06/26 Sat AM 03:30:48 GMT
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org,  rescue at sunhelp.org,  sunhelp at sunhelp.org
>
> I'm throwing this out for your review before I make it official.
> Suggestions welcomed for changes/additions/improvements.
>
> This will be the standard list policy for the Geeks, Rescue,
> and SunHELP mailing lists.
>
> List Rules & Guidelines

> * COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING ON THESE MAILING LISTS IS NOT ALLOWED WITHOUT
>   PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE LIST MANAGER.

I'd suggest leaving out the "without prior permission" section, I realize you may want to leave the door open to special situations (like the SPARCbook sell-off a while ago), but I'd prefer it not be touted as an option, I'd rather see you preface anything that goes against the "no commercial posts" simply be prefaced by a note from you explaining the situation at the time.

Just a thought, far from a big deal on this end...

>   Personal for sale/for trade posts are allowed within reason.  If you
>   have a large list of equipment to post (for example, getting rid of a
>   collection, cleaning out the garage, or you're moving and don't want
>   to haul it all), please contact Bill Bradford for approval first.

That's reasonable - I'd include repeated posts as well - you know, "I've got (40 items) for sale", then, "I've got )25 items) left...", and finally "I've still got these (8 items) - someone take them before I pitch them..." posts.

I don't think most list subscribers want to "live through" every twist and turn of someone's online garage sale...