[geeks] Linux software RAID question

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Jun 25 05:35:36 CDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 10:05:29PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Is it possible to change a RHEL install to software RAID (mirrored /boot,
> /, etc) *after* install?
I migrated a Debian GNU/Linux instalation to RAID1 after doing a normal
instalation to a single disk. Setup a single sided mirror, copy
eveything to the mirror, adjust fstab, lilo.conf etc. reboot and add the
"old" disk to the mirror. With the help of google I found a HOWTO
describing this. Sorry, no URL, as I am on "vacation" at the LinuxTag.

Just a note: I got trouble bootig after installation. I suspect a LBA
addressing problem with lilo. (lilo is no bootloader, ist is a boot
sector virus.) So I recommend a small boot partition at the beginning of
the disk.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen