[geeks] Fahrenheit 9/11

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Jun 24 12:37:43 CDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Mike Meredith wrote:

> Didn't someone once say not to vote for the politicians you like
> because you'll usually not be voting, but for the politicians you
> dislike the least ? Very cynical, but with the politicians we've got
> it's hardly uncalled for.

The problem is that the attitude of 'Why bother?' is how it got this
bad.

Political strategists figured out it's easier to get your opponents
supporters *not* to vote than change their vote to you.  Why do we
have such terrible candidates?  Because nobody takes an interest in
picking them.

Heard an interview with Nader yesterday discussing *why* he's still
running.  He said: "African Americans: *WHY* are you telling the
Democrats this early you're going to vote for them?  You are giving
all of your leverage away.  If you tell the Democrats you're going
to vote for me because of issues X, Y and Z, don't you think they'll
start courting you and doing something about X, Y and Z."

While he didn't come out and say it, Nader essentially said that
folks should vote for Kerry to get Bush out of office.  He claimed he
is running because the avenues he used to have to champion the causes
he cares about are all clogged with Corporate Lobbyists.  He feels
the only way to get the issues important to him addressed are to
run for President...

Very interesting, I thought.

--Kurt