[geeks] U.K. telephone wiring RJ-45

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 20 03:11:32 CDT 2004

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 02:28:30 +0300 (IDT), Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Now here is the part I am at a loss. When I was last in the U.K. the
> hotel I stayed at (a service flat) had an ISDN connection. It did not
> have a POTS (analog) line. The ISDN line was terminated in an RJ-45 (8
> pin U.S.) plug.

Hotels are deeply into connector conspiracy.

> Nosing around the the internet tonight I found several notes that POTS
> service in the U.K. is now being moved to RJ-45 plugs especialy in
> hotels, but also in newly wired homes.

Not as far as I know (and there's a reason my domain ends in 'uk').
Hotels could use RJ-45's just to be awkward. Some businesses wire phones
for RJ-45 to save on cabling costs (when they're alongside data points).
Some homes are getting RJ-45's ... for data. POTS lines are RJ-11 ...
why change ?

> Or is it possible he will need an RJ-45 to RJ-11 adaptor to connect

Yes he will need one, or more sensibly just an RJ-45 to RJ-11 cable (in
the UK a "modem cable").

> If you're still with me, I understand that in the U.K. there are ISPs
> that are "free". When you dial them, BT skims a small charge off the
> top and passes it on to them. Is that so, and can you recommend one?

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/noties/?linkfrom=Today&link=4&article=TODinternet_access

I'm not sure I can say I'd recommend them, but I used Wanadoo (as
FreeServe) a few years ago and they weren't too bad. Right now most of
the rest of my family seem to use Wanadoo.