[geeks] Cable modems/routers

mrl vlack-lists at vlack.com
Thu Jun 17 10:18:42 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 06:27, James wrote:
> > Just got cable installed at the house (after slogging along for 2 years
> > with dialup and 6 months with 90$/mo ISDN), and the cable modem they
> > give us sucks (at least it's a no-extra-fee "loaner", tho). Looking to
> > replace the thing, but I want to make sure that it's not something that
> > I have to power cycle all the time, a la the ISDN modem, some
> > "consumer-grade" switches, the DSL modem at work, etc. Does anybody have
> > any recommendations?
>
> If its DOCSIS, use Motorola. They invented it and they have never given me
> trouble. I've had trouble with all manner of others though.
>
> > Oh, and if I purchase a PCI cable modem, are there any gotchas?
>
> Yeah, how do you use a broadband router to share the connection when its
> internal to the computer? Please don't say Microsoft Internet Connection
> Sharing Wizard.

uhh, no. Our gateway has always been a linux machine (piano), actually.
When we had dialup (running at half speed, because our phone lines were
poor), we used piano to route, and we'll do the same thing with the
cable modem. Right now, the cable modem/router that Time Warner gave to
us is the only thing on the 192.168.100 subnet, and all our computers
are on 192.168.1, and we *still* use piano to route :)... although that
was my dad's decision, not mine.